For 4 people ()
- 1 1/2 cup(s) flour
- 2 tablespoon(s) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) nutmeg
- 5 pound(s) apples
- 1 zest of 1 oranges, grated
- 3/4 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 pound(s) cold butter
- 1 zest of 1 lemon, grated
- 1 cup(s) oatmeal
- 2 tablespoon(s) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
Apple Crisp Directions
- Peel, core and cut the apples into wedges or bite size pieces, as you like. I like using a variety of apples but tart apples stand up to cooking better.
- combine apples, 1/2 cup sugar and spices and zests and pour into 13x9 dish.
- To make the topping combine flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal and cold butter with electric mixer or with a pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of peas. Scatter over the apples evenly.
- Bake for 1 hour or until top is browned and apples are bubbly. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream
- Often I will mix in a cup of berries with the apples. I've used blueberries, black berries and raspberries, I've also used raisens, and cranberries. it doesn't affect the cooking time and it turns the juices a beautiful color