For 1 Batch(es) ()
- 3/4 cup(s) boiling water
- 1 cup(s) buttermilk
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 cup(s) butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cup(s) flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/4 cup(s) shortening
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cup(s) sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla
Cocoa Medallion Cake Directions
- Stir together, cocoa and boiling water until smooth, set aside.
- Cream together butter, shortening, sugar, vanilla and salt in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Stir baking soda into buttermilk, add alternately with flour to creamed mixture, blend in cocoa mixture.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9 inch layer pans or 8 inch square pans. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans, then cool completely, frost as desired.
- You can use sour milk instead of buttermilk. Just place 1 tablespoon vinager in a 1 cup measure and then fill with milk to measure 1 cup, let stand for at least 5 minutes.
- If baking in a 13x9 bake for 40-45 minutes