For 1 Batch(es) ()
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 cup(s) cold water
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3/4 cup(s) chopped onion
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 cups cubed ham
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 3/4 cup(s) chopped celery
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 pound(s) green or yellow split peas or lentils
- 3/4 cup(s) diced carrots
Split Pea Soup Directions
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy kettle. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer on low heat for about 2 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove ham bone if you used one, cut away all ham bits and chop or shred the meat and return to pot. Remove the bay leaf. Serve hot.
- This will be a very thick soup, but nicely condensed so it will freeze well. If you would like the soup to be thinner you can add water, or milk, or even a bit of cream, heat and serve.
- You could also use crisply cooked bacon instead of the ham. You could serve with croutons.
- If you're using lentils thinning the soup with chicken broth is a better idea. You could also add 2 cups canned tomatos, diced, some basil, even olives