For 4 Dozen(s) ()
- 1 tablespoon(s) yeast
- 4 teaspoon(s) bakin soda
- 2 tablespoon(s) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup(s) finely chopped ham
- 4 tablespoon(s) melted butter
- 1 cup(s) warm milk
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cup(s) flour
- 6 cup(s) water
Ham and Cheese Pretzel Bites Directions
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar and warm milk until dissolved. In a large bowl combine 2 1/2 c flour, the milk mixture and the yeast. Stir until a soft dough forms. Add up to 1/2 c flour more if needed. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead a few times, forming a smooth ball
- Brush the inside of a large clean bowl with olive oil. transfer the dough to the bowl and cover lightly with plastic wrap. Allow to rise ina warm area for about 2 hours, unitl dough has doubled in size and bubbles appear on the surface.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 4 equal pieces. Lightly dust hand and rolling pin with flour. Roll one of the four sections into a 12x4 inch rectangle. With the long side facing you, gently press 1/4 of the ham and cheese into the bottom third of the dough, and roll as lightly as possible, starting with the end that has the filling. Cut into 12 1-inch pieces and trasfer to a gaking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining 3 portions of dough.
- Let rest, uncovered, at room temp for 30 min. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Add the baking soda and reduce heat to a gently simmer. Boil pretzels in batches cooking about 20 seconds each, turning once. they should be slightly puffed. use a slotted spoon to transfer them back to the baking sheets. Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 15 min. Brush warm pretzels with melted butter and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve warm