For 1 Batch(es) ()
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 6 onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon(s) salt
- 3 green peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) allspice
- 1 cup(s) brown sugar
- 3 red peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cloves
- 48 tomatos, peeled and chopped
- 2 cup(s) cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
Chili Sauce - Mary's Grandma Directions
- the original recipe calls for this; peel and chop tomatos, boil til tender, dip off as much of the liquid as you can. Add cayenne pepper, onions, and peppers, brown sugar, and salt, boil til thickened.
- Add spices and vinegar, boil 5 more minutes and can hot.
- After some experimenting this is what I now do;
- Double the amount of tomatos and peppers keeping all the other ingredient amounts the same. Add all ingredients without the "dipping off" and gently boil until reduced. Can hot, or process for 20 minutes
- The flavor is strong but becomes more mellow after some time in the jars. This is good over eggs and such on it's own, but I also add it to my shrimp cocktail recipe, meatloaf, and even a big pot of chili!