For 8 people ()
- 1 tablespoon(s) sour cream
- 3 quarts of home canned tomatos, or the equivalent of canned tomatos
- 2 teaspoon(s) dill
- 1 tablespoon(s) whipping cream
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter
- 1 pinch(es) salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoon(s) basil
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 teaspoon(s) thyme
Tomato Soup Directions
- If you are a novice or nervous cook try this recipe this way first;
- Put tomatos with juice in blender and pulse. It shouldnt be too fine but almost.
- Melt butter and olive oil in pan and place chopped vegatables in the pan and cook until softened, add garlic and cook a couple minutes, add tomatos and as much of the chicken broth as you like to loosen the soup. Add one or more of the spices and herbs tasting often. You will probably need to adjust the salt and pepper, so start with a little and add as needed
- Remember that you can always add to, you cant take away!
- Sour cream, whipping cream can be stirred into individual bowls as wanted. My family doesn't eat this soup with either but try it and see what you think.
- We also prefer only the basil although the dill is good too. You may have to make this a couple different ways and see what you like. Or divide the soup into smaller pans and experiment with the different herbs.
- We have served this with hot pepper sauce, shredded cheese and lots of crackers. It makes a great side for grilled cheese sandwiches!